Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Two Exercises To Add To Your Total Body Workout Routine

Today's post is for the Tight Body Tuesday's program where I often feature a workout or exercise routine to help add variety with effective plans to help you improve your fitness and re-shape your body.

Here are a couple new exercises to add to your workout routine. Let me know if you can do the first exercise (advanced plank) without putting your hand down or falling over. The second one (sumo wood chopper) is just a variation of a squat with a weighted medicine ball. Why not try alternating the two exercises doing 5-10 reps of the plank and 10-15 reps of the sumo wood chop for two or three rounds. For an added cardio burn, try doing jumping jacks or skipping rope for 30 seconds to 1 minute after each set. You could get this done in less than 15 minutes before work and start your day off right. Good luck.

6 comments:

Brian, the old man said...

Still a little advanced for me but I will get there.

Kelly's Ideas said...

would love to have that belly!
Love,
Kelly

TC said...

Brian. The you might try the regular elbow bridge plank:

Starting With The Basics - The Elbow Bridge Plank

* Your Position
1. Start by lying face down on the ground or use an exercise mat. Place your elbows and forearms underneath your chest.

2. Prop yourself up to form a bridge using your toes and forearms

3. Maintain a flat back and do not allow your hips to sag towards the ground.

* Target Muscles
1. The Core - Abdominals, Hips, Back
* Step By Step Instructions
1. Hold this position *focusing on tightening your abs* until you can no longer maintain a flat bridge. For beginners, start with 10 seconds

2. Return to start position.

* Beware of Cheating!
1. Remember to not let your hips and back sag. This exercise will only be effective if you work to maintain a flat line from your shoulders to your feet. You might want to start in front of a mirror to learn the technique.

TC said...

Hey Kelly. Yes she does have great abs. You can tell she has been at this for a while and eats well along with regular workout. A lot of her stuff is advanced but she also has some beginner workout videos as well.

mrs green said...

Well I tried it last night and ended up wobbling about and then flat on the floor.

I want those boobs though, so I'm inspired to keep trying LOL!

I can do the plank for 30 seconds, and I'm pleased enough with that!

TC said...

LOL..that's a hoot. I am glad you gave it a try. I do a different kind of advanced plank but gave this a try. I like it. Even though I am quite fit and agile, I still wobbled a bit but didn't fall over. We'll give it a go again tomorrow.