Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sugar's Damaging Health Effects On Your Immune System


We are heading into the cold and flu season here in the U.S. so it is wise to consider your dietary habits as they relate to your immune system health. The bottom line, excess sugar suppresses immunity. Studies show that downing 25 grams of sugar, roughly the amount in two cans of soda or piece of sugary pastry, is enough to knock your immune system down for hours. The immune suppression was most noticeable two hours post-ingestion, but the effect was still evident five hours after ingestion.

If you really load up on sugar, say about 100 grams (20 teaspoons, it can reduce the ability of white blood cells to kill germs by up to 40 percent. The immune-suppressing effect of sugar starts less than thirty minutes after ingestion and may last for five hours. In contrast, the ingestion of complex carbohydrates, or starches, has no effect on the immune system.

Simple sugars, including glucose, table sugar, fructose, and honey caused a fifty-percent drop in the ability of white blood cells to engulf bacteria. In contrast, ingesting complex carbohydrates(starch) does not hinder the immune response or impede the white blood cells ability to conquer bacteria. Improve the health and fitness of your immune system by eating less simple sugar and more complex carbohydrates.

The way to supercharge your immune system and reduce the potential for sickness is to eat plenty of raw fresh vegetables, greens, fruits, nuts, seeds and whole grains. Avoid sweetened, caffienated beverages, sugar laden pastries and snack bars, soda, sugary cereals, and read your labels. If your a woman, keep you sugar intake to no more than 25 grams(100 calories) per day total and men no more than 37 grams(150 calories) total from all food sources.

Stress also suppresses immunity, so be sure to manage your stress levels through exercise which also boost your immune system and deep breathing exercises that will help you stay relaxed.

Reference:
Dr. Sears
Seventy Six Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health

5 comments:

mrs green said...

Oh I hear you on this one. I might not be good with the MSG thing, but my daughter and I do not eat any refined sugar.

It's actually easy to eliminate it and get off the addiction once you make up your mind as long as you know how to cook.

eating out is another thing ...

We use honey and agave syrup mainly although I find I don't need anything sweet anymore - it's like giving up cigarettes, you eventually lose the taste and then wonder how you ever used it at all.

I find sugar ruins your palate - the taste of a fresh apple or a freshly picked carrot comes alive when you stop eating it and you feel more energised too.

unfortunately many people think I am being 'cruel' to my daughter and it's very hard to get others to take care of her in the way I want them to; they believe a sugar does her no harm (it's natural, right?!?!) or she will 'run it off' (someone actually said that to me and I was shocked into silence LOL!)

It's very hard when our society has normalised what I see as a drug and I know my daughter's health is affected - as soon as she walks through the door I know if she has had something with sugar in it.

She can't control her behaviour, she is rude, defiant, her skin breaks out and she ends up with stomach ache or rashes.

Ho hum; I feel like I'm swimming upstream a lot of the time but thanks for highlighting this issue, we need to understand the truth about refined sugar.

TC said...

Hey Mrs. Green. That is good to hear. We use Agave and honey as well but also keep it limited. I also believe that to be true - that if you reduce the salts and sugars in your diet, you will improve your palate and flavors will come to life. No ho-hum...more gung-ho. LOL. Spread the word.

Brian, the old man said...

This is some good information. I was not aware that sugar had this effect on one's immune system. I have been staying away from sugar but this just gives me one more reason for my decision. I also agree with the two of you about your taste palate. I know things taste better to me as well. Thanks I appreciate the info.

TC said...

Anytime Brian. Glad I can help. BTW, I was finally able to post a comment on your blog. Hope you got it.

Aree said...

Hi very good post we should careful to use sugar but most of people don't thing about...have a nice day....